The Student News Site of Marin Catholic

Wildcat Watch

Marin Catholic's student-run newspaper

Wildcat Watch

5 study tips for back to school

Source%3A+Routledge
Source: Routledge

As the school year starts, so does stressing about tests and quizzes. To ease the pain, seniors Elissa Holyoke and Olivia Elder both have study tips to share!

1. Utilize CATS! CATS is a super period that not many students take advantage of. Always go to CATS the two or one day before an exam to ask any clarifying questions or concerns you may have. Teachers will always provide answers and good study material. You can also ask effective ways to study, maybe some videos they recommend watching, etc. 
  2. Schedule your time, set goals for yourself and don’t procrastinate! Though it can be hard to avoid cramming in everything at the last minute, taking a shorter amount of time a few days before your exam helps you build up your memory. Procrastinating is a common theme among all students, but it is a super unhealthy study habit. Start the first few days to review notes. Then, during the next couple of days, spend some time answering questions and reviewing material you didn’t understand. This way, before the test, studying won’t seem like an overload of work; additionally, you’ll already have a good idea of the material!
  3. Make sure to sleep! Getting a good night’s rest before big tests is very important. Even if you end up procrastinating your studying until the night before, don’t stay up super late trying to cram study. You won’t be able to remember anything because you’re so tired and you’re losing valuable sleep! 
  4. Make a study guide. Not only are you reviewing the material and answering questions beforehand, but you have an organized way to study for the test!
  5. Organize your notes. It is super important to pay attention during class and to take good notes prior to a test. Make sure the notes you take are something you can look back on and understand. If you don’t understand material during class, highlighting or writing in a different color notes or questions can be beneficial to bring to the teacher before the test. It is also important to underline and highlight important concepts and key terms that you think will be important for an exam.